Charles B. CoventryBorn: 1801
Charles B. Coventry was born near Utica, New York in 1801. He received a medical degree from Fairfield Medical School in 1825. In 1834, he became the chair of materia medica and obstetrics at the Geneva Medical College. In 1846, Coventry became chair of physiology and medical jurisprudence at the University of Buffalo School of Medicine, a position he would hold until his retirement in 1851. That same year, Coventry joined fellow School of Medicine faculty members Austin Flint and Charles A. Lee in debunking the supernatural claims of the spiritualist Fox sisters when the sisters visited Buffalo.
When naming places on the North Campus, UB chose the founding faculty of the School of Medicine for some of the campus roads. Coventry Road, adjacent to UB Stadium and leading from Millersport Highway to the Center for the Arts, is named in honor of Charles B. Coventry.
- Batt, Ronald Elmer, et al. Another Era: A Pictorial History of the School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences. Virginia Beach: The Donning Co., 1996 p. 19.
- Ochvary, Paul. "Knocking the Supernatural." Buffalo Physician, Summer 1987, pp.8-12.
Affiliation(s): Medicine and Biomedical Sciences
Record Group(s): 19