Skip to Content

Mearl D. Pritchard Hall

photo of building
Current Name: Mearl D. Pritchard Hall
Former Name: Cooke Hall (1953-77)
Location: South, Residences, Lost Buildings

Historical Note:

Pritchard Hall is one of four matching dormitories (including MacDonald, Michael, and Schoellkopf halls) surrounding Kimball Tower that began UB's history as a residential college. It was originally built as a men's residence hall.


Mearl D. Pritchard (1900-1976) graduated from UB's School of Pharmacy in 1926. A pharmacist, prominent university alumnus and civic leader, he received the Samuel P. Capen Award in 1964.

Walter Platt Cooke (1869-1976) was a lawyer, financier and civic leader. He was the Chair of the University Council from 1920 to 1931 and received the Chancellor's Medal in 1926.

  • 1952 -- Construction started on Cooke, MacDonald, and Schoellkopf halls.
  • 1952 -- (March 25) Groundbreaking ceremony
  • 1952 -- (November 5) Cornerstone ceremony
  • 1953 -- (November 15) Dedication of Cooke Hall
  • 1977 -- Cooke Hall was renamed Pritchard Hall after its name was transferred to a building on the North Campus.
  • 1992 -- (September) Pritchard Hall closes for the Fall semester because of the large amount of "no shows."
  • 2018 -- (May 23) At a public forum discussing changes to the South Campus, plans for Pritchard Hall's demolition are announced.
  • 2018 -- (September 4) Demolition begins.

Original Architect: James & Meadows
Original Contractors: BAW Construction Co., Inc.
Construction Cost: $1.5 million (for all three dormitory buildings - MacDonald, Schoellkopf, and Cooke)
Original Size: 37,719 sq. ft.